My all time favorite breakfast, snack, and even dessert is granola! However the store-bought stuff can be loaded with sugar or cost 'an arm and a leg' so I usually make my own. However with our current lack of a large oven my granola cravings have not been fulfilled :(.
Last night after a long night of training I decided to figure out a way to make RAW SUNKISSED GRANOLA! And its even good without the sun for those impatient ones (ME ;0)!
Why I love this recipe:
- Super duper healthy!
- Full of fiber
- Full of flavor
- Can be used as a snack, a topping, or a cereal!
- And the prep fits into my crazy hectic schedule!
Time: 15 minutes to prep, 30 minutes to fridge soak, 3 or more hours of refrigeration (I recommend over night), and optional 1-2 hours in the glorious sun!
Serves: 4 people
- 1/3 c coarsely chopped almonds
- 1/4 c chopped prunes
- 1/2 c chopped dates
- 1/4 c chopped walnuts
- 3/4 c gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp grapeseed oil
- Place the chopped almonds, prunes and dates in individual dishes. Place 1 tsp vanilla in with the almonds. Fill each dish with water so that the items are covered. Refrigerate for 3 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combing rolled oats, walnuts, ginger, and cinnamon. Mix throughly.
- Drain the almonds, prunes, and dates. Add into mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla, honey, and grapseed oil to the mixture. Stir throughly.
- Place mixture in a Pyrex dish (if you are sophisticated) or in a Tupperware (my ghetto fab way). Pat the mixture down so that it is flat and even.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, my way: overnight it!
- Enjoy now or for some extra crispness dumb the refrigerated granola onto a plate and bake in the sun for 1-2 hours. WATCH FOR BIRDS AND BUGS THIS STUFF GIVES OFF SOME YUMMY SCENTS!
- Enjoy the amazingness of fresh raw ingredients!